David Bowie is an artistic chameleon. You never get the sense that he was ever following musical trends but was instead creating them. It always felt like he was marching to the beat of his own drummer. I’ve been a fan for a very long time and I sometimes got the sense that I was following an artist with several different careers rather than one long one.
My favorite song has always been “Heroes.” It is perfectly produced, played and sung. No other singer/songwriter could have written a song like this. It teeters on the musical edge and pushes the boundaries of what a vocal interpretation of a love song should sound like. The emotion is raw and clearly influenced by a deeper sense of meaning. From what I’ve read it was inspired by him watching one of his bandmates walking along the Berlin Wall with his girlfriend holding hands in the late 1970s. Only a true artist could turn that moment into this song.
- David Bowie, Artist Tracks Musical Chameleon’s Career (wired.com)
- magpie and chameleon (3quarksdaily.com)
- David Bowie’s Decade-Old Unreleased Album ‘Toy’ Leaks (spinner.com)
- David Bowie Rockets Onward (time.com)
- David Bowie: New York retrospective to celebrate the artist (telegraph.co.uk)