Neil Young is a song writing machine. The sheer volume of his work is amazing. It’s almost as if he is never bereft of ideas. He also shifts his style and approach like a chameleon: electric, acoustic, rockabilly, country, hard rock, etc. You’re never quite sure what you are going to get when he releases a new CD. Sometimes the material is topical and relevant to world events other times it is intensely personal. He is certainly never boring to listen to as an artist.
I believe the challenge for any songwriter is to be intensely personal while also not being so descriptive that you narrow the interpretation options for your audience. Once the song is out there it should have a life of its own. The more people your music resonates with the better. No one is better at this technique than Neil Young. It almost feels as if he is writing for you. His best songs reflect timeless sentiments that transcend generational and time boundaries.
I’ve chosen the song “Harvest Moon” because it is a beautiful love song written by a middle aged man to his wife. You can sense his genuine appreciation for the relationship. It could be Neil Young or any other fortunate couple you know. If you are one of the lucky ones, you too experience these moments of clarity that validate the partner you’ve chosen for your life’s journey. The dancing together flows effortlessly and the hugs and smiles come easily. Good relationships do take work and can be hard to hold on to but the rewards are vast if you are resilient and approach them with a patient, generous, supportive and caring nature. Some of us are still searching, some of us are lucky to have found it later in life, while others should be more grateful for what they already have and not take it for granted. True love is a gift….as is Neil Young’s music.
- Neil Young, “On The Beach” (ask.metafilter.com)
- Neil Young: Soundboard Bootleg 1976 (donaldmillersmixedbag.wordpress.com)
- Neil Young Albums From Worst To Best (stereogum.com)
- Sample Wars: Battle of the Neil Young Samples (animalnewyork.com)
- KrOB’s FILM FARM Presents “Jonathan Demme Concert Pictures” (prweb.com)
- Released on this day in 1970! After the Gold Rush ~ Neil Young (downinthegroovemusic.wordpress.com)
- Neil Young’s Pono music player and online store set for early 2014 launch (theverge.com)